November 8, 2011
- November is parent/teacher conference month in PUSD. Schools have scheduled parent/teacher conferences to discuss students’ progress at different times of the month. Parents and families should check with their child’s school for specific dates and times.
- PUSD High schools have been holding spirit week activities in preparation for homecoming games and other annual fall activities.
- PUSD parents participated in seminars organized by PUSD's Welcome Center to learn how to use the district’s new Parent Portal, the web-based system that offers parents an opportunity to check their child’s grades, attendance and assignments online. Parents can obtain confidential login information at their child’s school. The system is operational mainly in 6-12th grades, although some elementary schools are also using the system.
- PUSD congratulates to Marshall Fundamental Secondary School’s new principal Mark Anderson, Ed.d., (left) who received the 2011 Association of California School Administrators recognition for Co-Secondary Administrator of the Year.
- More than 30 business and civic leaders participated in “Principal for a Day” this week, and worked alongside school principals to develop a first-hand understanding of the complexities of running a school. Students interact with their “principal for a day,” learn about his or her profession, and how to prepare for the workplace. Teachers share their experiences, challenges and insights into education. Now in its seventh year, the event is coordinated by the Pasadena Educational Foundation and sponsored by Merrill Lynch to foster civic involvement in the public schools of Altadena, Pasadena and Sierra Madre.
- Marshall Fundamental Secondary School offers a National Honor Society afterschool tutoring program for students on the campus who may be struggling with a particular class or subject. Approximately 100 Marshall students are selected to be tutors based on scholarship, leadership, character and service. Students who need help can request a tutor. Contact: Cindy Seo at 626-396-5810, Ext. 64561 firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday, November 10
7:00 p.m. The annual Turkey Tussle football game between John Muir High School and Pasadena High School occurs at Pasadena’s Rose Bowl. The November tradition began in 1947 and the winning team takes possession of the ceremonial Victory Bell. Ticket booths open at 5:45 p.m., with pre-game activities at 6:30 p.m. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. Parking is $3.
7:00 p.m. Blair High School plays its homecoming football game against Temple City. Occurring the day before Veterans’ Day, the theme is patriotism with a special tribute to veterans, the announcement of the Homecoming King and Queen and a half-time show. Location: Muir High School, 1905 Lincoln Ave., Pasadena.
Friday, November 11 – Veteran’s Day Holiday!
Schools and offices closed. To see how you can help our veterans and soldiers, visit www.pusd.us
Sunday, November 13
10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. John Muir High School’s Green Club hosts an e-waste collection as part of the national America Recycles Day challenge to recycle one million pounds of electronic waste and to reduce hazardous waste. Items can include old televisions, computers, monitors, and appliances. All Green Electronics, a recognized e-steward recycling company will gather, wipe sensitive information and recycle all donated items. All proceeds benefit “green” programs at Muir. 1905 N. Lincoln Ave., Pasadena. Contact: Cynthia Lake at 626-396-5600, Ext. 82226.
12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. John Muir High School hosts the All Alumni Homecoming Fair and Picnic. 1905 N. Lincoln Ave., Pasadena
Wednesday, November 16
Time TBA Bill Thomson, illustrator of Chalk, the wordless picture book that tells the story of chalk dinosaurs who come to life, will visit San Rafael Elementary School and speak with students. Last spring, San Rafael students and sidewalk chalk artists re-enacted the book with chalk drawings on the sidewalks surrounding the West Arroyo neighborhood school. Call school for time. San Rafael Elementary School, 1090 Nithsdale, Pasadena, 626-396-5790
Monday, November 14
7:00 a.m. The Association of Pasadena School Administrators holds its annual fall event. Administrator of the Year awards will be conferred. CalTech Athenaeum, 551 S. Hill Ave., Pasadena
# # #